Monday, July 25, 2011

Food, Old Memories, and Re Evaluating Things

I started this blog especially for Mamavation Mondays. It is meant to be between myself and my Mamavation sisters about how important our families are to each of us. So important in fact, that we strive to be fit and healthy moms, wives, and friends. Not so easy for any of us, but we pull support off each other through the good days and bad days. Recently though, I have been thinking of how important something else is to me as well. That being food and cooking. It is definitely my passion in this world. I come from a 100% Italian family and married into the same kind of family. My earliest memories are sitting on my nana's lap as a three year old. My nana was confined to a wheelchair, blind, and had both her legs removed because of diabetes. Yes, a sad existence but this lady had a smile that could light up a room. As I sat on her lap at the kitchen table, my mom was there too rolling out ravioli dough on her grandmothers rolling board and using her rolling pin as well.( both of which I still proudly own). My nana would put the rolled dough between her fingers and then tell my mom to "keep rolling Rosie!" until it was perfect. Every time she would feel the rolled dough she would make me feel it as well, so I would know the difference too. Being three and wanting to go play with my dolls, I was not a happy camper at the time. Now decades later with both nana and my mom gone, I cherish those moments. Thanks to those moments I can now make the best homemade raviolis without a recipe! Those kind of memories began at three and continued throughout my life. If it wasn't for my health, I would have loved to have been a female Mario Batali or Rocco Dispirito. Growing up, I was also so privileged to have lived only 45 minutes from New York City. We used to take trips there all the time. Not for the museums or broadway shows, but for the food! My mom's only rule was I had to try something once before deciding I didn't like it. Thanks to that rule I have been eating everything from raw oysters, octopus, sushi, sweetbreads, tripe, and brains ever since I could barely see above a counter. You may be wondering why am I so sentimental about food today? Before I tell you why I want to share something that very few people know about me. I actually made it to the top 24 contestants that they were considering on season six of the show "The Next Food Network Star." I ended up in the hospital and that disqualified me from being considered for the twelve that were chosen for the show. One of the worst times of my life. So I guess I am reevaluating my life. Time goes so fast, I really want to accomplish something in this world....something I'm passionate about. Since we moved from New York to South Carolina five years ago, I really wanted to promote a brand that encompasses the two cultures. I bought the domain name pizzaandgrits.com ages ago and have done absolutely nothing with it. Maybe it's time I start moving in a positive direction with that. When my health took such a hit earlier this year, I was far from positive about anything. I think that because I have begun blogging again, getting involved in Mamavation again, worrying about health and fitness, and planning my future, things are looking up in so many ways. Time to start putting everything into motion....starting with some low fat mushroom risotto for dinner tonight! Thanks to all of my Mamavation sistas for just allowing me to have this blog and vent to y'all. It's wonderful not to have to worry about how great my blog post is, if my grammar and spelling are perfect, with you guys I just open up my heart and write! Till we meet again next Monday, hugs, Juli XOXO


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Welcome Juli and I look forward to getting to know you better and sounds like learning some fabulous things from you. Sounds like you have had some bumps in the road and are ready to get back on your feet. Let us know how we can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home, Juli! I'm so proud of you for not only posting 2 weeks in a row, but also for sharing your life with us. It's not always easy to open up but you're doing it for all the right reasons. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete